CNY Medical Professionals offers a comprehensive Voice Clinic to detect, diagnose and treat disorders of voice, resonance, breathing, and swallowing across the age spectrum. Patients undergo a thorough screening with videostroboscopy then receive individualized treatment plans. Treatment plans may consist of speech therapy, surgery, or a combination of these approaches.
Common conditions affecting the voice:
- Chronic cough and/or chronic throat clearing
- Dysphonia - difficulty in speaking due to a physical disorder of the mouth, tongue, throat, or vocal cords
- Resonance disorders (issues with nasality)
- Shortness of breath/paradoxical vocal fold motion/vocal cord dysfunction
- Vocal fold nodules, cysts or polyps
- Vocal fold paralysis
Stroboscopy is a special technique used to visualize vocal fold vibration. It uses a synchronized, flashing light passed through a telescope. The flashes of light from the stroboscope are synchronized to the vocal fold vibration at a slightly slower speed, allowing the physician to observe vocal fold vibration during sound production in what appears to be slow motion.